URSULINE SISTERS OF THE CONGREGATION
OF TILDONK
RANCHI PROVINCE




HISTORY OF PROVINCE
In 1902, Sylvanus Grosjean, the Jesuit Superior of the Bengal Mission approached Rev. Mother General Ignace Van Den Borre, with an urgent request for LSlisters for Ranchi mission. The four Missionaries namely Mother Gonzaga, the Superior, Mother Anthony, Mother Ursula and Sister Sabina arrived at Bimbay on January 5 1903. They reached Kolkata on January 9th and met Archbishop Meulemns, who sent them to the Loreto Sisters in Entally. On 12th January left Calcutta via Asansol and arrived Ranchi on January 13.

The two Loreto Sisters welcome the four Ursuline Pioneers at Ranchi. They spent the following day seeing the compound, the building and the grounds. Loreto Sisters and Daughters of St. Anne shared the Bangalow called the “Red Lodge” at that time.

The Sisters started to teach religious instruction, gardening, needlework, singing and cultivation of flowers. The number of Missionaries increased and the girls too wanted to be educated. Seeing the need of the local people, Ursulines established a second Convent in Khunti in 1904. The lace making centre started in Ranchi 1904.

In 1919 three girls joined the Ursulines as postulants namely; Sister Lamberta, Sister Loyola and Sister Renelde.

News & Events
  • Prerna Shivir 2020

    A warm and hearty welcome to all young members who have written their...


  • Six Ursuline Novices professed

    Six Ursuline Novices were professed on 8th Dec. 2019


  • Sr. Suchita Shalini Xalxo OSU is re-elected 8th Provincial Superior of Ranchi Province

    8th Provincial Chapter 2019 took place from 29th...